Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree

So, I pinned a project on Pinterest that I've been wanting to make for a while, and I finally got it done! I cannot find a link to my inspiration for this project, and I forgot to take photos of the project in progress.  However, it was SUPER easy. 

First, I had to acquire two metal coffee cans.  This was actually more difficult than you might imagine.  My husband drinks coffee, but his coffee comes in the plastic containers.  I put out a post on my personal FB page and was able to get two cans from my friend, Tammie.  THANKS, Tammie!!

I removed the plastic lid from one can and placed the other can on top of it.  Then I attached the cans together with a piece of duct tape.  I had some wood-grain Contact paper on hand and used this to cover the two cans.

For the top, I used a utility knife to cut two Xs in the plastic lid.  I had purchased two stems of fake greenery from Dollar Tree.  I just pushed the stems through the Xs and that has seemed to hold them in place so far.

I had read the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to the littles previously so they were familiar with it.  When I introduced the tree, I passed out a few lowercase magnetic letters to each child.  As I read each page aloud, they came up and placed the corresponding letters on the tree trunk.  From now on, the tree will be available (along with the book) for them to play with during centers time.


No comments:

Post a Comment